Happy Malaysia Day people!




 I can't believe we're smack in the middle of September already... 


I hope you've been well and keeping safe and eating all your vegetables.

I'm happy to report that after many months at home, we at Muhendaran Sri are now back in the office (mostly) - which I think is a big relief to our clients. Strict protocols have been put in place for safety and where possible we meet with clients remotely via online apps. This doesn't always work best, especially when complex instructions need to be taken or lots of documents and evidence are involved. So we do have some physical meetings in the office but these are strictly scheduled and we do tell clients to come on time and leave promptly to limit everyone's exposure. The courts are yet to open, though we have been told that they are gearing up to open by next week or so.

I work from home most days, and try to schedule all my physical meetings one day a week, so I can go in to the office. I do miss my little office and the art on my walls and in the Zhongshan Building. Lots of my neighbours have been away but are now slowly coming back in. 

Things are still scary and my connections tell me that the people on the frontline are bracing themselves for a fresh wave of cases to hit us soon with the relaxation of lock down protocols. Be safe. The new strains are mutating in unexpected ways and we are a long way from being out of the woods.


Despite all the horror, I am pleased to share with you some of my favourite things in the last few months... 


1. The artwork right on top is by Studio Karya, entitled Right to the Padang - Planting Hopes.  (This print was part of a recent exhibition at the Backroom KL and an edition of it is now mine, yay!)


2. I found this lovely poem yesterday, by Stephen Crane:

A man said to the universe:

“Sir, I exist!”

“However,” replied the universe,

“The fact has not created in me

A sense of obligation.”


3.    The best band in the world (Iron Maiden) came out with an awesome new album, Senjutsu. Here's the video for the 1st song that was released. You have to know that just as much as Iron Maiden's music is epic, so is their artwork.



4.    We harvested some ginormous papayas from our tree! Not only were these giant, but so sweet too...



5.    Muhendaran and I have been exploring Clubhouse lately and have on occasion landed in some interesting rooms and conversations...


6.    After much nagging by people who've been trying to connect with us online, we have both checked in on LinkedIn (although strictly speaking - this is neither one of my favourite things nor does it give me joy. I should have probably told you this somewhere before this list right. Oh well I suppose it gives some people joy to connect with us online. If you're there you can now connect with us there and say hello, thus giving us joy :)


7.     We've been listening to lots of old Malay hits. Here are the Alleycats:



and Black Dog Bone:




7.     Keropok viral - I ordered this online, and it is your regular keropok ikan (fish crackers) but sliced really really thinly and super addictive!



8.     It's Malaysia Day today, and we celebrated with home made brownies, cheesecake and keropok viral  for tea. Our flag has been up since August, and despite all the madness that has been our political climate in the last 2 years, I'm still proud to be a Malaysian.


9.    Pangrok Sulap, one of my favourite art collectives put up this awesome work on their instagram today...


10.    After years of being hacked off for construction, the jungle has reclaimed itself outside my office window, and someone saw fit to celebrate it...



I hope you liked my list. I hope it makes you sit down and draw up a list of your own of the things which have given you joy lately. 


As declared by the grafitti, I hope you know that you are amazing! 


This post has been brought to you by the letter F and the numbers 16 and 9. And by keropok viral.

Comments

Popular Posts