You Drink?


It was my first actual job interview of my life. I’ve gone through Youtube guides and articles, finding the best answers to every possible job interview question there is. I am well prepared for questions like, “Tell me 3 of your weaknesses; why should we hire you; where do you see yourself in 5 years, etc etc."
 My interviewer (which eventually became my Pupil Master) didn’t ask any of those though. Instead, she was more interested in who I am; what have I gone through to come to where I am today; how many siblings do I have. Honestly, it was more like a talk than a formal interview. And I admired that.

It didn’t take long until he came interrupting the session. And of course, by ‘he’, I meant Mr. Muhendaran. THE Mr. Muhendaran in ‘Muhendaran Sri’. It took me a while to recognize who is this gentleman wearing a green shirt with a pair of jeans. He scanned me from top to bottom. With my well combed hair, wide opened chest and my shoulders held high, I was confident that he WILL NOT find any flaws from just scanning me. I'm ready to answer whatever he wants to ask. 

“You drink?”
“Nope”, me answer. He was disappointed, I mean, he REALLY was. Imagine your dad’s face when you picked the candies instead of the calculator or the book on your first birthday. He’s not mad, he’s just disappointed, you feel? I mean, could you really blame me though? None of my Youtube tutorials had prepared me for this, you see. I was completely thrown out of my comfort zone. "I mean, I do drink, but just socially." I added. 

“Do you know what litigation means?” he asked next.
“Its about pleadings, it’s about fighting the case for your client, getting fees from your client, I guess…?” I answered hesitantly.

“Litigation is about having no Monday to Friday, no 9 to 5, no I want to go clubbing with my friends on the weekend. Can you do that?”

I took my time and think. I mean, I am not that sociable of an individual to begin with. Thing is, am I prepared to sacrifice time off my weekends doing nothing to actually do something? Both Ms. Sri and Mr. Muhendaran struck me as very interesting individuals, and this is just too hard an opportunity to turn down. I can do it, I must do it. I got a call a few days later to receive the good news from them. Noice.

My job was interesting, to say the least. We specialize in employment and civil litigation matters. From poultryman and engineers to individuals having high position in their respective industries, I have seen it all (maybe not all, but a variety of them). It was REALLY interesting. Some of them may have travelled from another state just to have my boss represent them because they know my boss is one of the best employment lawyers in town (I mean, they’re not wrong). Of course, there are some clients who couldn’t care less about their case despite huge efforts from us to serve them well. Some of them might have the least rewarding job I can possibly imagine and turn out to be the kindest and honest individuals I have ever met. 

“If you were offered a drink from me, you can never turn it down.”

We do not drink often, just once every week la. When he DO ask you, good luck finding excuses to not turn up for it. The last time I tried, I have to bring up my dad’s actual birthday to leave earlier (notice how I said leave earlier, instead of not turning up at all). I drank more than usual that day, too. “You’re drinking on behalf of your dad, to Mr. Thong!” But all is love, he knew our drinking limit and NEVER pushes it beyond that. I mean, whose gonna drive him to court tomorrow if his cockroaches can’t reach home safely, amiright?

“We will miss you dearly.”

It was said by none other than Ms. Chong Wan Loo. Besides my bosses, who undoubtedly gave me the opportunity to learn in their honorable chambers, Ms. Chong played a significant role in nurturing me. There was NEVER a time where I’ve asked her for something and her not giving me any attention. She always reverts back to me and is constantly afraid that I am not getting the exposure I deserve. I have learnt a lot and if I have not tell her that I am forever grateful for what she has done for me, I would like to extend my gratitude to her once again. My journey wouldn’t have been so smooth sailing if it weren’t for Ms. Chong. 

I would like to extend my gratitude for both of my bosses for taking me in. To raise me as one of their own for a period of 9 months. To tolerate with Kyn is no easy feat. He is no genius nor is he a quick thinker. He admires everyone’s patience and time invested in him and he hopes that some day in the future they can be proud of what he has become and be glad that they are part of his journey. Because he can proudly say that he is glad for every individual he has met along his journey.

Comments

Popular Posts