October wrap up


It's October, and the year end is fast approaching. It's been an eventful year for us here at Muhendaran Sri,.. it's always a sign when we've been too busy to update the blog :)

The sad news is that our green lung is gone. Cranes and tractors have moved into our neighbourhood and chopped down massive trees and cleared out our little forest. I've not seen any of the beautiful birds that used to flit around my window all year. We've heard disturbing reports of monkeys and snakes invading the nearby school as they wander away from their lost habitat. It's become hotter, and there are days when I'm really tempted to turn on the air conditioning in my room (am still resisting the urge).

The good news - we've had some great decisions for our clients this year. Ask any lawyer and they will agree with me - it's not about winning cases. You can win a case at the High Court and then lose badly at the Court of Appeal. What's great is when you win a case, with a well written judgment that will hold up to review/appeal. We've been lucky this year in this regard.

The last 2 weeks have been busy for both Muhendaran and I. He's been busy with several trials and has just delivered a presentation on Recent Developments in Industrial Jurisprudence, whilst I've just come off conducting a 3 day course entitled Advance Training on Child Representation with my team. Now that we're back in the office, the week ahead promises to be one of our "clinic" weeks, where we have back to back appointments.

Reviewing the last 9 months, I realise I've really enjoyed the work I've been doing this year - how lucky is that?

Further good news for the firm - we're finally caving in and setting up a Muhendaran Sri website - although realistically speaking - who reads websites these days? We will be celebrating our 20th anniversary this year, and have thus far coped without any form of corporate branding. However, Change is the only constant, as they say - so the website is coming soon...

What we should really have of course is an instagram account for the firm, so that we're truly trendy... but no one has the time here to manage an ig account, so no - that's not happening yet, sorry. Although, I'm pleased to tell  you that we do have a facebook page (although I've been reliably told that fb is now for old people only... You know who you are)!

As for life in the Zhongshan Building - there have been lots of changes in the last 9 months. Apart from the change in our climate due to the destruction of our green lung - we've had some shifts in the tenants, a new tea shop (Kok Far), a new stationery shop and a wonderful new art space (the Back Room). Our coffee shop, Piu Piu Piu has moved and if possible - become cooler. Some of our old friends have moved on to other exciting things and we've made some new friends. Some amazing art has been made and has been shown in the Building. The people here continue to inspire and interest me every day... Tommy's bread downstairs is still the best. And last but not least, we have a new pay per entry car park, so our clients have more parking options!

All-iz-well I tell you (except for the destruction of our green lung).

Till I find the time to write again, may you have interesting times ahead my friend!








Comments

Popular Posts