Recap

My apologies for not writing for the last one month. This has been due to the demise of my grandmother on the 24th of last month, and the subsequent prayers, which my wife was spearheading.  I was busy being her chauffeur, so let me do a recap for you of the highlights of the past month.

You'll be glad to hear that i have been re-elected to the KLBar Committee, in charge of Sports. This year I hope to revive a few tournaments such as the Football-7-a side, Hockey 6 a side and the Mini Marathon. I am also working together with another committee member to get our KL Bar members to experience the MonsoonCup. We are also hoping to get a prominent national badminton player to do a clinic for us.

Shanmugam, who has been with us for almost 6 years, left at the begining of this month, to venture into business. Valli and Dalveen, have also left on an extended study break - they will hopefully pass the CLP exams this year. On behalf of the firm, I wish them all the best. And a message to Valli and Dalveen - if you fail, please run away from the country.

The firm had a big farewell to Shan (and a "we'll miss you" to Valli and Dalveen) had an outing to Pulau Ketam on 4th March. Nisha and Izziaty our new associate joined us for the trip, which started at my house at 10a.m. It was a road trip to Port Klang, followed by a boat ride to Pulau Ketam on an air-conditioned boat shaped like a prawn, with Cantonese entertainment on the TV. I believe that Sri will update the blog on this trip soon.

On 17th March, on behalf of the Professional Development Committee of the KLBar, I gave a 3 hour talk titled Judicial Review of Industrial Court Awards. I hope the participants benefitted from this talk.

On 21st March, I represented the M'sian Bar in a forum organised by an NGO, and titled "The erosion of worker's rights. On a personal capacity, I thoroughly enjoyed myself delivering these 2 talks, as I was able to express my personal opinions on the current state of Malaysian Labour Laws.

I'm also very sure my managing partner and the staff are enjoying the many lunch sessions this month, which predominantly have been at Devi'sCorner, ItalianTomato or Lake Club.

I'm pleased to report that the office environment is still the same, despite the number of new people, and the exit of key personalities.

On a political note, many politicians are applauding our Cowgate gal for tendering her resignation. My question is, what sacrifice has she done for the country, that warrants such applause. Our beloved PM is still going around the country giving out goodies and handouts to the public, believing that during the next election, the public will vote for the ruling party. Now I wonder whether we are all that foolish?

It seems that the government desperately wants to go ahead with the LynasPlant because it is good for the people and they want the opposition to support it.

Our BankNegaraGovernor has apparently told the public to stop issuing cheques, as it is expensive to the financial system (today's NST). My view is that, the only sector that will be happy with this announcement, is our criminal brothers, who will have a field day...

Ok folks, if my English is not good enough, please understand, I got no school :)

P.S.: Lastly, I'd like to add, "GlorygloryManUtd".

Comments

Popular Posts