Tembak!!!

My family and I have been away overseas, hence my absence from blogging.

Upon our return, I find that our mainstream media is still bogged down with Cowgate issues and the PM's freebies to Malaysians. Amongst this news, what attracted me was the amount of murders and killings that have been taking place in the last 2 to 3 weeks. For example, there was a gangland murder in Shah Alam, in which the victim's wife has since committed suicide, a grandmother killed her granddaughter, a young mother killed her new born baby, and the list went on.

The story that attracted me the most was the the story of the 3 robbers who were shot dead. Why this attracted me was because our police has been shooting people dead for a long long time. This list includes a schoolboy, a doctor, a pregnant lady and God knows how many other innocent people. If you have the time to compile all police shootings from the 1980s onwards, I believe that you would come to the following conclusion:

(1) in these shootings, no policeman will die (save and except for that incident in Sg. Buloh some years ago - and in that case, we still have not been told why the police officers, none of whom were in the narcotics squad, took part in a narcotics raid);

(2) the police always only open fire in self-defence;

(3) upon inspection, the dead are always found to have been armed or arms are found in their vehicles (even the schoolboy);

(4) according to the mass media, the dead are always criminals;

(5) we are always told by the mass media that these criminals are  either robbers, burglars, drug dealers or murderers (of course this list sometimes includes school children and pregnant ladies) - despite the fact that they have not been convicted in a court of law for the alleged offences; and

(6) in killing the dead, the mass media tells us that the police has solved umpteen cases of crime. As an example,the story above, the media reported that "Police believe they have put an end to the gang's crime spree, which includes at least 56 robberies". My question is, where is the evidence that these so-called robbers committed at least 56 robberies? The dead do not talk.

I could go on, to arrive at more conclusions, but I believe that you can make up your own mind.

The question that lingers is, how many people have been shot dead by the police in the last 30 years, and what evidence is there to show that these people deserved to die?

P.S.: As I type this, I note that the police have successfully shot dead another 3 robbers yesterday. Read more here





Comments

pramo said…
I like your stand. Good article and worth a second read. Perhaps someone should compile statistics from police records - nationwide - for you. Just to emphasise the truth of what you are saying. pramo

Popular Posts